Getting your child into sport can be tough; getting your child into sport during the winter is a whole new ball game (pun intended!). Understandably you may be reluctant to send them out onto the football or rugby pitch in shorts and expect them to run around in the freezing cold. However, taking your child to a warm swimming pool where they can exercise their body and mind makes a lot more sense!
The health and wellness benefits of swimming are many :
- provides a complete physical workout which strengthens your child’s lungs, heart and respiratory system which in turn makes them more able to combat winter infections
- regularly improves your child’s eating and sleeping patterns
- helps make your child sharper mentally and increases awareness of surroundings by responding to key words
- encourages new friendships for your child through stimulating, engaging and enjoyable interactions
- helps develop your child’s self-discipline and self-confidence
More fundamentally, swimming is one of the most vital basic life skills that your child can acquire, so it is important that you ensure your child knows how to swim. Accidents happen and unfortunately we can’t always avoid them, which is why it’s so important to educate your child on how and what to do if an accident occurs. Swimming lessons teach your child water confidence, how to stay afloat and how to swim, lessons that could potentially save your child’s life.
So, keep your child warm and safe this winter and get your child active in the water! Remember, swimming is not just a summer sport; it’s very much a winter sport too.
Winter flippers at the ready…