Here are answers to some of the questions we get asked about our baby swimming lessons.
1. When can I take my baby swimming?
- Babies can start swimming as young as 3 months
- It is advisable that they have started their immunisation
2. What does my baby need to wear?
- Swim nappy – all children under the age of 3 are required to wear a swim nappy.
- Swim costume
- Wetsuit – some children who feel the cold will feel more comfortable in a neoprene wetsuit. For babies we would recommend the vest/Babygro style suits with Velcro fastening over the shoulders and between the legs.
3. What shall I bring to the lesson?
- Swim costume
- Moisturiser – some babies/toddlers will have dry skin and will benefit from applying moisturiser after the lesson
- We have all the necessary equipment/aids/toys to run the lessons!
4. Can both parents attend the swim lessons?
Yes, but please advise the office first as the class may be too busy if 2 adults attend for each child!
5. I have twins, how can I bring them both to the lessons?
- Each baby/child must be accompanied by adult who enters
- Many mums come with another relative or nanny to help them
6. If I miss a lesson can I come to another class?
Yes, we will do our best to offer you 2 make up lessons a term at another site if your child is unwell but this must be arranged and booked through our office.
7. Should I feed my baby prior to the lesson?
We do not recommend a full bottle feed or solids in the hour before a session. We also recommend that your baby has an extra feed after a lesson as they will have burnt lots of energy during the swimming session.
8. Should I attend the lesson if my child has been ill?
If your child has been suffering from any illness please do not bring them to the lesson, call the office to arrange a catch up lesson at one of our sites. This is very important if the child has had diarrhoea or vomiting.
9. Can relatives come and watch the class?
Yes, grandparents, relatives and friends can come and watch the class from poolside. Unfortunately, we cannot allow photographs/videos to be taken.
Our baby swimming lessons are focused on helping young children to become confident in the water and learn the basics in order for them to join swimming lessons in later life. We run our Babies & Toddlers programme in Wimbledon and Petersham. Give us a call us on 0208 940 9431 or contact us to find out more.